Grimm's Build: The Front Door
The door was the first thing I did and it took forever! I think it really makes the model though, so it was well worth the time spent. Before I started this project I though - I need to come up with some unconventional stuff! George Sellios is always finding new ways of doing things I need to think like that! So, I went to the hobby store and looked for whatever I could see that might have a use. One thing I found was a dollhouse Grandfather clock. It was perfect for the front. So when I got home it was time to cut it apart. Now I usually joke about cheapo Chinese crap, but whatever glue they used to hold this together was quality glue! Anyway I broke the top portions off and had to glue them back together again. That didn't speed things up! So, after the re-gluing, here is the starting point. I did a little carving on the sides already, but nothing else.
Here are some of the parts I used. The long gold parts are cheap rings that I cut apart and then bent straight. Cutting and filing metal isn't a fun thing, but there are a lot of neat details available.
I've carved out the wood and then added the gold border. The border was too thick though, so I added the styrene as filler. BUT, then the inner brass rings stood out too far, so I had to go back and cut out circles to recess them into. Then, they sat back too far. So I cut the red pieces of paper you see.
Lot more done here! The centers are in and the baseboards are on. I ended up going around the entire top part of the door with wire (only part is done in this picture.) The lower accents are paper.
I wanted skulls on the doors. I tried to cut the ones off of the upper window boxes that came with the kit, but they kept breaking. SO, why not make them I thought! So I took some sculpey clay and carved these very small skulls out. The eyes were made with the tip of a ball point pen. Then I cooked them in the oven.